Skip to main content

Chain Link 2017 Crochet Conference, Part II


"Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Samuel Ullman

The Northwest Chicago suburbs had been my home for over 30 years when we moved to Indianapolis in 2015; I am always ready to return for a visit to play "tourist." My friend Sue from Boston comes to conferences but not for crochet.

Sue and I have known each other since 1988 when our children were at the American School in Quito, Ecuador together; and we began to connect more regularly when the CGOA conferences were in Manchester, New Hampshire. It is an easy drive from Boston for Sue and her sister, Claudette, who registers for knit and crochet classes. We also "hooked up" when the conference was in North Carolina where Sue's daughter was living. This year my friendly duo decided to come to Chicago because they had never been there. Yay, we met again!

From having dinner with my dear neighbor, Gerry; to taking the Metra to the Art Institute to meet my Moderator (twisted1) from my Ravelry group; to the Architecture Boat Tour, I really enjoyed showing Sue and Claudette around.

Waiting on the Metra



Enjoying Millennium Park

Hooking Up with Rockfield & Twisted1
If it weren't for Claudette, I would have never known about these Queenly shoes!

Another must-see on my list was a fiber show, The Box Project: Uncommon Threads at the Racine Art Museum (RAM). Sue & I drove there and spent the whole day enjoying art, gorgeous weather and lunch with a lake view. That was a must for this woman who grew up in Maine!

RAM, Racine, Wisconsin

Carson Fox: Untitled, Twisted & Matted wire filigree, 2008

Carson Fox: Orange Craggy Rock, 2014

Gerhardt Knodel: Untitled, 2008

Gere Cavanaugh: Untitled, 2010




I didn't do a good job of getting all the names and art matched up, but it was a thrill to see the works of 36 internationally recognized artists. Each commissioned piece had to be three-dimensional and sized to fit inside a relatively small, square or rectangular box of standardized dimensions. Included were such luminaries as: Mary Bero, Virginia Davis, John Garrett, Ana Lisa Hedstrom, Gerhardt Knodel, Nancy Koenigsberg, and Cynthia Schira.

A bonus that I didn't expect was to find the work of Renie Breskin Adams also on display.  I am honored to have featured Renie in a chapter in my book, The Fine Art of Crochet. This current exhibit showcases a recent gift of embroideries, studies, and illustrations to RAM. This donation of over 80 works establishes an archive for Adams at RAM and parallels other holding in various media at the museum.

Renie Breskin Adams: Bugs; dyed cotton thread; 1989

Renie Breskin Adams: David, Dyed cotton thread & fabric, 1989
Lunch at the Lakeview Cafe
Had to get our feet in the sand!

On our last day, Sue and I took the Chicago Architecture Tour on our leisurely way out of town.  It was a perfect way for her to get a great view of Chicago in a short time. 



Chicago's skyline can't be beat!

Garfield Park Conservatory



Add caption



Stalking the purple duplex from the latest episode from HGTV's #GoodBones











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc