Skip to main content

New Year, New Life

I rarely go so long without blogging and I don't like to use the excuse "Life got in the way." So suffice it to say, I am back!

My goal on this blog has always been to express the connection of crochet to my everyday life. It is such an important part of my being or my identity; and I like to point out the many "hooks and connections" that influence how I live.

On December 19, my husband and I made our 3rd move since June 2013! We experienced the ying and yang of suburban Chicago vs. the city of Chicago for 16 months. Being a "city girl," I yearned to live in the city and soak it all in.

Ravenswood condo
This little dream of mine was an overwhelmingly positive experience. We walked and walked, we viewed the city from the treetops while riding the "El" or the Metra. We enjoyed outdoor dining during Spring, Summer & Fall at the myriad of multi-ethnic restaurants within reach. We wandered to street fests and art galleries along with any other intriguing places that caught our eye.

At the end of October 2014, it was time to move again. Alan's debilitating disease, Corticobasal Degeneration, was getting the best of him and he was having trouble navigating the 7 steps up from our garden unit condo. I was imaginging him toppling on me and taking me down to a broken hip! Not a good scenario for a full-time caretaker!

We had to choose between an elevator building in the city or a return to one back in the suburbs from whence we came to be nearer to long-time friends. Suburban Arlington Heights won out, and we consider ourselves lucky. It was a wonderful building with helpful staff and friendly residents right in the height of downtown which continued to give us the feeling of "urban living." We walked  or wheeled to restaurants, parks and the theatre. Having lived in Mexcio City for two years, we have that mexicali feeling in our blood. We enjoyed many sunny late afternoons sitting in the downtown plaza which has a Mexcian restaurant literally attached enjoying the welcoming waft of fresh tortillas being prepared for the evening!

Arlington Heights condo
From the beginning this move to Arlington was, in our minds, a transition year. We needed to adjust to the fact that we would be leaving the area in which we had lived for thirty years, leaving dear friends and leaving our younger daughter to be closer to our grandchildren. There is much to be said, as we ponder what our future will look like, about the emotional support from close-hooked family living nearby

On December 19, 2016, we crossed the state line and moved to McCordsville, Indiana, just minutes from Nicole and her family on the north side of Indianapolis.  Basically we are settled in and cozy in our new home which has accomodations for Alan's needs. The grandchildren have already been here for a couple of sleepovers; and they like to stop by after school to check the refrigerator to see what kind of snacks Gigi (Grandma Gwen) might have. We've been to breakfast, we've been bowling and we look forward to going to Build-A-Bear real soon.


Bowling

Selfie time

Gigi Love
There's good news...I have a friend who lives fairly nearby on the other side of Indianapolis. We are childhood friends who have kept in touch through thick and think. It's very comforting to know she is here for me.

Gwen, daughter Nicole & Debbie
At times, it does feel like a dream that we made such a big decision and such a move. It is not like we are not used to moving. We've done it many times, but mostly Alan's job dictated our destination. This time the decision was all ours!


Our new home
I discovered since I've been here that I am teetering between country and suburbia. Ten minutes in one direction and I am driving through cornfields to get to the post office. One the other hand, ten minutes in the other direction, I am at the grocery and many familiar retail offerings like Best Buy, Target, and all the rest. Our house is only the 2nd one on our street with many more to be sold and built. Lonely? No, not really, it is winter and I am content to be inside and cozy!

So, where does my crochet come into the picture? Do I really have to explain? The majority of my readers are crocheters..for those of you who are not, I'll be happy to explain. Crochet is my comfort, my outlet for creativity, my rock, my joy and my time filler. It is therapeutic. My life may be new, but my crochet follows me whereever I go. Stay tuned; I will post some fun pictures of what I am making soon!


Comments

Aunt Mimi said…
Congratulations on your new home. I'm sure you will love being close with those grandbabies! They will keep you straight & exercised. I won't say healthy because I always catch something from the littlest carriers in the family. I can't imagine your struggles, but identify with your hip fracture worries. You & your hubby will be in my prayers. Spring will be here soon & he can enjoy outside without worries of falling. Stay warm.
Voie de Vie said…
Hi Gwen - so glad to see you and Alan are cozily settled into the new digs. Happy 2016!

Popular posts from this blog

Craft vs. Fine Art: How is Crochet Blurring the Lines

I was awakening to the world of crochet in 1972,a time of immense artistic expression through fiber arts; and crochet was not the “ugly stepchild” at the time. In fact, Ferne Cone Gellar who I admire as a successful fiber artist said in “Knitting: The Stepchild of the Fiber Arts?” ( Fibercraft Newsletter 1978), “Has knitting been slighted among the areas of the fiber arts? The very word ‘knitting’ evokes images of the little old lady in tennis shoes. Over the years, I’ve learned to ignore all those jokes.” Cone Gellar went on to publish Crazy Crocheting in 1981 and encouraged her readers to create more than bedspreads, providing ideas such as “things to play with or to display on a shelf or hang on a wall.” A photo of single crochet from bread wrappers served as inspiration.  In 1972 in her book, Creating Art from Fibers & Fabrics , Dona Meilach wrote: “Why are fibers and fabrics becoming increasingly appealing to artists? Most artists agree

Wartime Crochet With Attitude, Part I

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Karen Ballard and I have a mutual love of free form crochet. We met for the first time in a class taught by Prudence Mapstone of Australia at the Chain Link Crochet Conference 2011. I admire Karen's vast knowledge of needle work history and am grateful for her willingness to share with us as my guest blogger this week. Karen wearing a World War II-era knitting hat with stubby needles on top Karen's Heritage Heart,  with flowers symbolic of her heritage, is currently on tour with Prudence Mapstone's traveling "Hearts & Flowers Exhibition" in Australia and New Zealand   World War 1 Attitudes About Crochet by Karen Ballard In 2008, I coined that term, "Workbasket Campaigns" to describe the organized efforts during World War I (WWI) and World War II (WWII) coordinated through the American Red Cross {ARC} and the Navy League to create needle crafted items.  These items were mostly knitted but also sewn, qu

What is Free Form Crochet?

Monday, January 6, 2014 This topic came about from the title of my article recently in Fiber Art Now magazine.  "Crochet As Art: A Conversation with 5 Free-Form Crochet Artists." Yes, the 5 artists I wrote about, all of which are in  my book  The Fine Art of Crochet , are free-thinking when it comes to their creativity. They are free-wheeling with the hook and use unique fibers in many cases. Once you read the article, tell me what  you think? Are these artists doing free-form crochet? In order to define free-form crochet, we must look way, way back to it's origins: Irish crochet. A brief history of crochet, including the Irish method, written by Ruthie Marks is available through The Crochet Guild of America . Unfortunately, there are no images on the site. On her blog, Nancy Nehring has a beautiful montage of Irish Crochet in reference to a class she taught in 2013 at Lacis . I wrote an article in Old Time Crochet Magazine (Spring 1998), "History of Irish Croc